Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

Original Message From: "Michael Sokolov"

(I've flipped the order of Michael's reply to make the more important
comment first.)

> But yes, it's not good for public-facing auth, etc, and probably people
> (like you!) who don't know what it is have used it as if it were secure,
> so for that reason I agree with you, it's not the sort of standard that
> should be promulgated.

I think that's the rub.  We all know that passwords should be kept secret,
and for a mechanism whose primary purpose is to exchange passwords it surely
has a duty of care to help maintain that secrecy.  Sending passwords over
the Internet in the clear seems no more acceptable than storing passwords in
a file in plain text.  No serious system would do the latter, so I think
it's only reasonable that we should object when systems do the former.  "We
never said it was secure" is not an acceptable defence IMHO.

> It's actually pretty useful as an insecure *identification* mechanism.  EG
> if you're operating inside a firewall and just want to give people a
> mechanism to say who they are, allowing for the fact someone might
> impersonate someone else, etc.  Not every authentication mechanism has to
> be secure, just like not every door has to be locked - I mean do you lock
> your bathroom door?  Closing it is enough; people knock and identify
> themselves.

True, but it doesn't seem so much harder to always use Digest.  Surely it's
just calling a different function for most people?  (Digest may have its
weaknesses too, but that's a reason for making a stronger scheme rather than
giving up completely.)

I feel a bit like a disgruntled customer who's found his product doesn't do
what he thought it did based on the shining ads who on ringing into a help
line is told that I should have read the small print on page 215 :-)

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info