RE: [xml-dev] functional databases noodling ...

Thanks all for bringing my attention to IRIS.
I think the idea of database starts with data model.
Then there needs to be a query language for that data model and that the
query language is closed with respect to the data model.
The idea of "functional database" can mean a number of things.
1. that functions are first class parts of the data model.
2. That the query language is functional.

Perhaps another way to look at "functional database" would be to declare
that side effects are not possible.  Read Repeatability certainly has that
and snapshot semantics address that as well.

Jim