RE: [xml-dev] RE: Formatting Processing Instructions

I can't flame what isn't wrong, Betty.

To be fair, IADS predates almost all of the hypermedia technology used
today particularly web tech.  It was an SGML system, had stylesheets,
etc.  It got dinged heavily about standards but there were no standards
to speak of except 8879 so the designers made smart innovative decisions
at the time it was created (originally a Unisys product called "IDE/AS"
out of which the 'green' version was created for the US Army.  That was
1989/90 originally which is a long long long time ago.  The fact that it
is still being used when almost all of the systems from that era aren't
means it was useful.  Originally it used SGMLS (possibly still in there)
and a DTD I wrote for it.  I don't know what they are doing now.  We
deliver the 2361 wps and someone is doing conversions.  The C-standard
is pretty good for this although there is still far too much legacy and
program specific markup.  Combine that with local authorities
("Blackhawk does it THIS way") who know Word and don't understand why
their layouts don't make it to the PDF, and it's a real job. ;)

That said, we once could justify a lot of things based on the complexity
of the printed/38784 families of technical document.  1000dpi,
two-column save every bit of white space possible documents need tender
care.  It just isn't true today.  The PDFs spit out of the B and C
standards are almost identical to vanilla HTML layouts so the claims
aren't as justifiable as they once were with the exception that having
your own code base is still the best security hedge.   We would do well
to step back and reexamine the original decisions for IETMS and digital
production of TMs.  What was so just isn't no mo'.

The challenge is managing the data and data relationships.  Here the
claims for the complexity of the document are still valid.  ID/IDREFS
are a daunting problem in organizations that take drawings and drawing
numbers, create Word documents and then hand these off to taggers.
There is no concept of late bound values such as WP numbers.  XREFs and
entity references quickly become a nightmare.  As I type this (tornados
hitting all around us), I am using the Larson viewer to print a hundred
or so CGMs so I can get their find number, discover where they go in the
doc, and manually tie the references together.  Why?  People who with no
concept of late binding and who manage their data backwards to producers
instead of forward to consumers.  I have to build my own tools to do
this which isn't all bad.

len