CSS Selectors for Fragment Identifiers now a W3C Community Group

I've been wondering for a while whether some of the vision of "SGML for
the Web" might still be applicable to "web development" as in "web
browsers and hypertext navigation".

Part of that led me last year to write (with Eric Meyer) this CSS
Selectors for Fragment Identifiers draft:

http://simonstl.com/articles/cssFragID.html

Basically, it combines XPointer syntax with CSS selectors to create an
approach for linking to (or potentially from) any point in an HTML or
XML document.  After a couple of decades of relying on document
maintainers to put in anchors, it's time to try something more flexible.

I'm happy to say that as of this morning there is now (finally, sorry!)
a W3C Community Group to talk about the idea:

http://www.w3.org/community/cssselfrags/

I'll be there as soon as I sort through the W3C patent and copyright
issues, but hopefully other people can get started.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/