Re: [xml-dev] are the regular expressions over xml structure?

On 02/07/2012 13:38, David Lee wrote:
> I personally would love to see xml level regex in XQuery and XSLT.
> The examples are quite concise and readable.
> Just noodling, would it be possible to translate some forms of regex into XPath ?  Or would XPath (and XSLT match expressions) need deep enhancements.
The way I've thought about doing this in the past would be some kind of
generalization of group-starting-with and group-ending-with, to
something like

group-matching="image, caption*, table"

But it's a lot of machinery addressing a rather specialized requirement,
so it's hard to see it ever making the cut.

Michael Kay
Saxonica