RE: [xml-dev] are the regular expressions over xml structure?

I'll point out in passing that the so-called "ANSI SQL committee" has
just forwarded for final approval a new part of the SQL standard
called "Row Pattern Recognition" (a/k/a Matching) that allows one to
search tables for sets of rows that match regular expressions.

If this is a desirable feature for XQuery and/or XSLT (and I am not
presently taking a position on that question), then there is a
precedent that might provide some inspiration on how to do
it.  Interested parties could consider submitting a candidate
requirement by posting a new bug in the public Bugzilla instance at
W3C (https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/), specifying the appropriate
Product ("XPath / XQuery / XSLT") and Component ("XQuery 3.1
Requirements and Use Cases").

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 7/2/2012 06:38 AM, David Lee wrote:
>I personally would love to see xml level regex in XQuery and XSLT.
>The examples are quite concise and readable.
>Just noodling, would it be possible to translate some forms of regex
>into XPath ?  Or would XPath (and XSLT match expressions) need deep
>enhancements.
>For XPath I could imagine some regex's being translatable.
>For Match expressions maybe not.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 and W3C XML Query WG    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Alternate email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA  Personal email: SheltieJim at xmission dot com
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =