Re: [xml-dev] Who Is Teaching XML To Technical Writers?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the name "id" for an
attribute that isn't an ID with document-wide uniqueness. (One might
expect it to be an id with some kind of uniqueness scope, but it
wouldn't be surprising to see the attribute name "id" used for an
"IDREF".) Semantics in XML are defined by the document vocabulary, not
by XML itself. What exactly is wrong here? - simply a failure to observe
the conventions of polite society?

Compared with some of the XML abuses we see, this seems pretty mild. And
why do you blame the technical writers? If it's wrong, the failure is
surely on the part of whoever designed the tools they are using.

Michael Kay
Saxonica