Re: [xml-dev] XPath and prefix bindings

On 16/08/2012 00:22, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 15/08/2012 23:21, Fraser Goffin wrote:
>> Where did you get the idea that this has anything to do with XSLT ?
>
> well I wondered about that but thought I'd keep it simple as there was
> a 90% chance of that being the case. If you are calling xpath from
> something else just substitute "XSLT" for whatever host language you
> are using. The issue is identical whatever the host language. You need
> to bind the prefixes in the host language, prefixes declared in the
> source have no effect on the interpretation of the QNames in the xpath.

It's not quite identical. The XSLT language specification defines which
prefixes are in scope within XSLT and which aren't. XPath leaves it to
the host environment, which means for example that XML Spy and Stylus
Studio can legitimately have different rules at the XPath level but not
at the XSLT level.

Michael Kay
Saxonica