Principles for an Ethical and Sustainable Internet

Normally I wouldn't post this here, but here is where many of the people who
built the machine gather, and it is our responsibility to do something about
the unintended consequences.

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/principles-for-an-ethical-and
-sustainable-internet/

We're killing our culture.  I don't think anyone intended that but the web
is serving interests antithetical to its own continued health.  I don't
intend to have a long debate here about that. We did that a decade ago.  On
the other hand, it's time to quit denying it or telling others nothing can
be done because it is "inevitable".  We've tried it the open source way.
We've tried it the egoboo way.  These ways have failed to protect the rights
of others.  We work for companies that fight each other viciously for
intellectual property of their own while profiting through the piracy of the
rights of others.

If we can't stop it, it will be stopped by means none of us will like.  This
goes to the heart of businesses.  This goes to the heart of culture.

If we were smart enough to turn it on, we better prepare to watch it
disintegrate if we can't control the unintended consequences.

len