From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan@ccil.org] On Behalf Of John Cowan
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:16 AM
To: Michael Kay
Cc: Len Bullard; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Principles for an Ethical and Sustainable
Internet - XML

Michael Kay scripsit:

> If someone uses an evaluation license of my software for something
> that's outside the terms of an evaluation license, they are getting
> a free ride, but nine times out of ten it's probably not costing me
> anything because if I asked them to either desist or to pay up, they
> would choose to desist.

Not always.  When I worked for Reuters Health, our salesfolk would look
for people who were publishing our news on their web sites and call
them up, advising them that they were in breach of our copyrights.

Surprisingly to me, most of them were more than happy to pay up; they
simply had had no idea that there was anyone they ought to pay.  After
all, companies don't put something on their sites that they don't think
adds value.  As far as I know, not one company replied "So sue me."