Re: [xml-dev] How many unit tests should I create for my XML application?

1. The schema-for-schemas has very little to do with the number of tests
in the XSD validation suite. Firstly, the schema-for-schemas is only
about determining whether schemas are valid, whereas most of the tests
in the test suite are about determining whether XML instances are valid
against a schema, which is quite outside the scope of the S4S. Secondly,
there are many things that can make a schema "semantically" invalid even
though it conforms to the grammar defined in the S4S. The S4S is thus
only a small part of the specification under test, while the number of
tests is related to the size of the specification as a whole.

2. The XSD test suite is the union of tests submitted by different
member companies. There was no attempt to eliminate duplication of tests
among the test submissions. (In fact, with some of the submissions,
there is considerable internal duplication. This may have been caused by
lack of communication between different test authors; in some cases I
strongly suspect that test authors were measured on the number of tests
they wrote (with the assumption more=better)).

3. Testing is never complete. Do you need to test obscure corner cases
in your specification? I think that depends on the requirements of your
project. The optimum level of test coverage, from a cost-benefit
viewpoint, is probably less than 100%.

Michael Kay
Saxonica