Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> The document-data divide is important in many conversations, but I don't
> think it applies to this one particularly.
>
> My point, at least, is that schema-first or schema-centric design, any
> situation in which the schema is considered more than a snapshot of current
> conversational practice, is actively harmful.

Hmmmm, anytime someone deals in absolutes it can be harmful.
(you like how I used an absolute there? it is difficult to get away from).  :-)

> It doesn't matter whether than schema uses a DTD, XML Schema, RELAX NG,
> Examplotron, or even some other form.  I think XML Schema and the toolset
> surrounding it encourage more serious problems to develop, problems we often
> ignore by calling them features.  However, these issues are hardly unique to
> XML Schema or to given fields of markup application.
>
> I'll be writing more on this soon, and hope to have a more coherent telling
> of the story than I've had so far.

I'll look forward to it.  I am certainly learning a lot here.  Mostly
about computing society.

> Unfortunately, when an epidemic is raging, the behavior of everyone around
> us matters.

VERY true.  :-)

--Tim