Re: [xml-dev] XML's greatest cultural advantage over JSON

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
On 4/9/13 8:27 AM, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
Schemas.

Schemas are a specialized transformation, typically yielding a binary (valid/not valid) result and possibly a modified/annotated document.

However much I deplore their side effects, they still fit into the category of transformations for these purposes.

Yes.  Exactly.  In the XML world (and in semi-structured data in general) a schema is nothing but a transform.

And yes, for years I've been saying that the power of XML is not extensibility but rather transformability.  I need to get my old "Chameleon XML Models" presentation on SlideShare.

I do believe in expressing business rules and constraints, but I think strong, static typing is a very bad way to do that, which is the problem I have with XSD.  I much prefer Schematron, Examplotron and RELAX NG.  I think the worst side-effects you mention come when people try to impose such strong typing constraints on XML, which, properly used. is about text, and not data.

Which brings me to the issue you set aside.  i do think that Mixed Content is essential to the culture of XML because I think that's what underscores the fact that XML is about text and not data.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com