RE: [xml-dev] RE: XML parsers use what computational power?

Bjoern wrote about entity resolution:

> Whatever you pop() here from the stack would
> be lost afterwards. If you need 'ha1', then you
> have to forget 'ha2' to retrieve it. And all other
> state you keep on the stack.

Wow!

As I understand it, you have just explained why entity resolution necessitates an XML parser be a Turing machine!

This is big news (at least for me):

    To implement a parser for the XML specification
    requires the parser be Turing-complete.

The ramifications of this are huge, particularly with regard to security and XML's attack surface.

/Roger