Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

On 4/9/13 5:09 PM, Fraser Goffin wrote:
>> That qualifies as a neat reversal of polarity.
>
> Not at all. I, and others never claimed that the primary use case for
> XML schema is for validation.

Did I say that validation was the heart of the problem?  Not exactly.  I
said that schemas cause more harm than benefit.  I attacked the use of
schemas for agreement, and pointed out the perpetual temptation they
offer to build brittle schema-centered applications.  Validation is one
small piece of that much larger puzzle, and not an especially useful piece.

I'm not sure what I think of John's polarity reversal, but I think I can
grant that it is at least a slightly less toxic use case than many
others.  There's LD50, and there are non-lethal toxic effects, many of
them cumulative and unnoticed.

 > Perhaps you just assumed that along with
 > a few other things. Take the time to listen and consider, you might
 > just find out something that will help your Basilage talk go all the
 > better.

Thanks for the condescension - it is indeed useful fuel for getting the
paper written.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent