Re: [xml-dev] Testing XML don't use xUnit

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:

>> Right. But XMLUnit doesn't let you do that because it requires an
>> absolute path (thank you John) to the node you are testing.
>>

> I think it's quite powerful enough to write assertions of the form
>

> every $t in //table satisfies ($t/thead and $t/tfoot)
>

> and assertions like that are quite powerful enough to meet any unit testing needs that I've ever seen
>
> Perhaps you're still thinking of the limitations of XPath 1.0?

I've not encountered XPath 2 usage and that is certainly better but

a) it's still an absolute path
b) Just for the  sake of argument I'll assume  that it mitigates the
problem - is it  practicable to expect or enforce that style of usage.
 Is it typical of XMLUnit code you expect to get written. Is it ever
likely to be.

c) It doesn't matter in Schematron whether you are using Xpath 1 or 2.