Re: [xml-dev] Do you enjoy neighborhoods where every house looksthe same?

On 08/28/2013 03:29 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I do many things in amateurish ways, but I recognize, for example,
> that the feeling of accomplishment I used to get from assembling IKEA
> furniture was a sad joke compared to the feeling of accomplishment I
> get from actually making something.

I have to admit I feel differently about chairs and tables, which I
would prefer to make myself, or purchase from a dedicated
crafts-person.  I chose the door example because I think it falls in the
uncomfortable zone between pipe threads and furniture. It is much easier
to get functioning if it conforms to standards, but also admits
significant aesthetic considerations.
> Honestly, lessening the expert/amateur distinction would make a lot of
> these questions just vanish, though.

Well, that's interesting.  You don't think we benefit from
specialization?  We should all be surgeon/plumber/coders?

-Mike