Re: [xml-dev] Do you enjoy neighborhoods where every house looksthe same?

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:29:02 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Standardization lets (most of) us be stupid.
>
> You can decide whether that's good - "democratizing door
> installation!" - or bad - "ugly doors all the same all over".

*sigh*

Or, given economies of scale (that certainly *are* relevant for the
material examples then provided, though they may or may not be for
markup), the statement might be:

Standardization lets (most of) us afford things.

The fact is, in these material things, it is perfectly *true* that the
standardized stuff is aesthetically less pleasing. It is also true that
it's cheaper. And cheaper means less people without doors. Or without
roofs. Or without windows. Or without electricity. Because more people
can afford standardized bits. It also means less expertise is required
when (inevitably) something breaks. A masterpiece may only be reparable
by an equal master, in some cases.

And, also passed over: the experts are still out there. You just have
to be a damned sight richer to afford custom hand-made stuff. I can go
out and buy a cheap chair at the discount store today, and haul it
home. It'll be ugly, and who knows how long it'll last. Or I can build
one myself (which is what I really want to do; the problem isn't
stupidity or laziness it's that it takes *time* that I can also use to
earn money to, for example, buy tools and materials). Or I can go to a
local expert who has the chair that I really, truly want, hand-made of
wood selected and shaped and joined by masters, with upholstery
hand-packed and sewn (though most of the fabrics aren't hand-woven, to
my knowledge, and I'm pretty sure that the carpenters use some standard
tools and standard mass-produced finishes and consumables such as
sandpaper). It costs $2000, but I *can* do it; that option remains
available. If my recently-preggers neighbor had to pony up $2K to have
a seat to sit on, the world would be a much less aesthetic place, in my
opinion.

I think some of this conversation has gone a bit too far.
Standardization for the stupid is, in my opinion, too far, much as I
generally admire your work, Simon.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
Belief is the wound that knowledge heals,