Re: [xml-dev] Gothic definitions (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: Markup, an abstraction)

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

Greetings.

On 2013 Aug 29, at 16:52, John Cowan wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>wrote:
>
> The word has too many meanings.  There's a roughly continuous thread of
>> attractive with/because of a dose of the repulsive, but it's hard to pin
>> down.
>>

> "There has never to my knowledge been any period of Gothic English
> literature, but the list of Gothic revivalists stretches completely across
> its entire history, from the _Beowulf_ poet to writers of our own day."
> --Northrop Frye

I initially misparsed Peter Hunsberger's remark about a renaissance Goth (whether or not in the same way as Peter, I don't know), and had visions of east-germanic exotics wandering around Florence, wondering aloud "ah, if we'd been here 1000 years ago there'd be some right good sacking here!"  The timing looks _just_ about possible, but if so, the poor goths would be very far from home indeed.

That is probably my fault; I did intentionally turn from Gothic to Goth since the vision of the renaissance Goth was just too much to resist.  Heavy mace in one hand, paint brush in the other, destruction and creation embodied all in one.  Hmm, perhaps there is a better relationship to the central  theme of this thread than I intended?

I vividly remember reading about gothic migrations in Decline and Fall when I was young, and being delightedly impressed by Gibbon's description of (in my memory) their multi-generational punk anabasis across Europe, finding the Black Sea, and oh, look! ... the sea, the sea! ... boats! ... sea-borne sacking! ... Anatolia! ... gold!

But then I realised we were still talking about architecture and revivals.

Hmm: what would goth markup look like, I wonder?

<!ELEMENT gothicperson (tribe?, parentsname2, sackings*)>   ?

All the best,

Norman

Peter Hunsberger