Re: [xml-dev] seduced by markup

On 11/15/2013 01:34 PM, Pete Cordell wrote:

Plus I think coding activity (at least traditionally) is all about organising stuff and constraining chaos. Even on a good day, when you've dotted all your "I"s and crossed all your "T"s, things rarely go as well as you'd hope. Thus when something with a "name" parameter is added to a system they want to quickly answer unequivocally "which name is that?" and bolt it down as quickly as possible to limit the increased entropy. The XML practitioners approach seems to be "Yo, more names. Cool. We'll put you over here to start with, but we might move you later."

Kind of like getting someone with OCD and a pot smoking hippy to work together!
There's OCD stuff in the XML world too, and it was there right from the start, it just has a different flavor: DTD. The whole "DOCTYPE must be conveyed with the document" religion created the concept of a document that isn't complete without being processed by its accompanying DTD. The result is a programmer's nightmare, but makes sense to a certain kind of document purist.

-Mike