RE: [xml-dev] [OT] Re: [xml-dev] Lessons learned from the XMLexperiment

Well, apropos the original title of this thread...

I think you've come close to isolating a major lesson for XML.

I think XML should have learned from the SOAP debacle, that
SOAP was an inappropriate application of markup.  I think this
stands in contrast to the application of markup to hypertext.

While REST came to dominate SOAP for mindshare, almost nobody, least of
all XML and more recently JSON, got it right.

XML sought to be a success 'on the internet', but SOAP seems to me
to have played a major role in the subversion of that goal.  Perhaps
XML will get a second wind someday. For my money, that is lesson number one.

Regards,
Peter Rushforth