Re: [xml-dev] seduced by markup

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Steve Newcomb <srn@coolheads.com> wrote:
Since you mention this, allow me to lament, once again, that W3C
deliberately crippled the DTD syntax in XML.  It disallowed comments
within markup declarations.  That wasn't necessary and it was extremely
hurtful to consensus-seeking projects.  It is hard to draw any
conclusion other than that they wanted to snatch document design out of
the hands of everyman, offering instead only slavery to the software
products those with the financial resources required to market them,
and, of course, to XSD, which everybody knew would be SO much better.

To be fair, the resistance to XSD even to people closely involved with the W3C (e.g. James Clark and Rick Jelliffe) was instant and vociferous. The two persons I mentioned of course went on to pioneer alternate schema tools (TREX->RNG and Schematron). Rick did it even as a member of the XSD WG, which I find an impressive mix of idealism and pragmatism.

(As to the latter point, I have never understood why the W3C was allowed
to escape prosecution under the Sherman Antitrust Act.  I know the
theory: that TimBL has absolute authority, and therefore W3C is
technically not a conspiracy in restraint of trade.  But that doesn't
change the fact that it is indeed a conspiracy that has allowed multiple
market leaders to collude in secret sessions with the net result of
restraining trade, once TimBL says "OK".)

Wow! I yield to few in my criticism of the W3C, but this seems to take it very far. For one thing, for the Sherman Act to obtain there must be an injured party petitioning. I'm not aware of any such, but surely there are even other secrets to which I'm not privy.

It's easy to understand why the Establishment saw fit to
endow TimBL with a knighthood.  A badge of honor, right?  His integrity
took the hit, the Establishment reaped the reward, and the public was
duly impressed.  No losers, right?

Ouch! And this is extremely unfair. The achievement for which TimBL was knighted is nothing nearly so sophisticated as you propose. It was for establishment of the Web, which predates these nefarious actions you claim. The Web is decidedly unsophisticated, and that's almost certainly why it succeeded. I do think this contradicts much of what you're saying abut DTDs, and maybe that's why you feel so strongly about it, but really now? There are no shortage of actual demonic forces we can be decrying (just ask the Twitter correspondents of Bank of America). Do we really need to make Beelzebub out of an occasionally brilliant but much more often bumbling collection of committees?

--
Uche Ogbuji                                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira                  http://zepheira.com