Re: [xml-dev] What Is XML ? WAS : RE: [xml-dev] [OT] Re: [xml-dev]Lessons learned from the XML experiment

On 11/17/13 10:38 AM, David Lee wrote:
<duck serious arrows and flame throwers>

So to avoid the arrow holes and charred skin ... maybe its useful to use
a different term then "XML" for #2 ... I dont know what that might be.

To this day I think  Physics suffers from using the word "particles"
well after we discovered they weren't tiny balls of solid rock.

In the case of Physics the  term has evolved to take on the meaning of
whatever the latest thingy we want ...

In the case of XML ... the term seems stuck with the spec definition
even though its used in a much wider context ... like say "Coke"

For precision Thats probably a good thing, but for communication of
ideas I suggest it is not.
This is a good idea. I've wondered for a while when the next phase transition would come along - first SGML -> XML, then XML -> ????.

I see some good hints in MicroXML and FtanML in particular, but it's probably time or past it. I don't think there will be quite the same uptake. XML benefited simply from saying "these things are actually possible" at a time when that was still a surprise.

Still, it makes good sense to me. (As I already noted, I avoid talking about XML specifically in my own markup conversations unless there's good reason to bring it up.)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/