Seduced by markup, Take 2

I took a few of my messages here from the weekend and rebuilt them into a
blog post at:

<http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/11/seduced-by-markup.html>

I can't promise that it will be that much more appealing to folks here,
but it's more optimistic overall because of further developments on the
HTML side of markup.

"XML was exciting because it made clear that data interchange was possible
with much simpler tools than its predecessors. Markup was still incredibly
useful, but as the servant of programmers. XML structures suddenly had to
look like programming structures, because nothing else could be trusted.
They could look a little different, because after all programmers from
different environments had different expectations, and there were
documents to tolerate, but Schemas and WSDL and similar structured
approaches dominated."

(And yes, I know, the photo is of me at the time I was writing the first
edition of XML: A Primer, 16 years ago.  I need to update that.)

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/