Re: [xml-dev] How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable efficient application processing?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

Knuth was wrong about avoiding premature optimization. Because there is now a generation of coders who take him to mean that you should initially ignore performance or implementation heuristics or real-time aspects and concentrate on correctness. The result is systems that fall over in certification or integration testing.

That's not what he meant at all.  He wasn't talking about using dumb algorithms, only about painful line-by-line optimizations (which typically achieve a 2x speed improvement at most).  Here's the original context:

The improvement in speed from Example 2 to Example 2a [manual loop unrolling by a factor of 2] is only about 12%, and many people would pronounce that insignificant. The conventional wisdom shared by many of today's software engineers calls for ignoring efficiency in the small; but I believe this is simply an overreaction to the abuses they see being practiced by penny-wise-and-pound-foolish programmers, who can't debug or maintain their "optimized" programs. In established engineering disciplines a 12% improvement, easily obtained, is never considered marginal; and I believe the viewpoint should prevail in software engineering. Of course I wouldn't bother making such optimizations on a one-shot job, but when it's a question of preparing quality programs, I don't want to restrict myself to tools that deny me such efficiencies.

There is no doubt that the grail of efficiency leads to abuse. Programmers waste enormous amounts of time thinking about, or worrying about, the speed of noncritical parts of their programs, and these attempts at efficiency actually have a strong negative impact when debugging and maintenance are considered. We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil

Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3%. A good programmer will not be lulled into complacency by such reasoning, he will be wise to look carefully at the critical code; but only after that code has been identified. It is often a mistake to make a priori judgments about what parts of a program are really critical, since the universal experience of programmers who have been using measurement tools has been that their intuitive guesses fail. After working with such tools for seven years, I've become convinced that all compilers written from now on should be designed to provide all programmers with feedback indicating what parts of their programs are costing the most; indeed, this feedback should be supplied automatically unless it has been specifically turned off.

Structured Programming with go to Statements (p. 268, physical page 8)

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures