Re: [xml-dev] How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable efficient application processing?

On 11/21/2013 8:33 PM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Uche

"we're so used to people not getting namespaces right that we hardly even notice any more"

Some simple examples would be much appreciated, for my education.

Examples of what people get wrong about namespaces? Oh murder, where to begin?!

I could go on.

The mismatch between the ease of applying (or not applying) a default namespace declaration to the root of a serialized document (thereby changing the names of all the nodes in the document), and handling a document in XSLT in which all the nodes are in the wrong namespace leads to some hard-to-explain gotchas.  Our client insisted for a while that we should just handle their documents equally well whether they included the declaration or not, since after all the change was almost insignificant.

-Mike