Re: [xml-dev] OT: Suggestion for new OSS SCC site / tool for xmlsh? SourceForge has gone to the dark side.

On 11/25/13 9:42 AM, Michael Sokolov wrote:
About git: you can use git more-or-less like svn, although there are
definitely extra steps.  One thing I have come to really like about it
is the ability to commit changes without immediately sharing them with
the world (you commit, and then push, as two steps). You could do this
with svn branches, kind of, but they seem so heavyweight and I never
really use them as much as perhaps I should. I do find myself searching
stackoverflow every so often when I get into weird git situations.
Yep. I'm surprised not to have found a "combine add, commit, and push" feature in git to make it as quick as SVN for those used to SVN. However, I utterly marvel at the multi-user working on an airplane scenarios that git regularly makes possible for our authors, and not just with code.

Also, this isn't very off-topic. O'Reilly uses git with markup (asciidoc, HTML, DocBook) for most of our book development and production these days. I suspect that in the long run git may prove a worthy alternative to many content management systems:

<http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/11/restructuring-the-web-with-git.html>

Though it treats markup all as text, with no understanding of markup structures. I've not yet decided if that's a feature or a bug.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/