Re: [xml-dev] OT: Suggestion for new OSS SCC site / tool for xmlsh? SourceForge has gone to the dark side.

On 11/25/2013 09:23 AM, David Lee wrote:
I am so annoyed by this thread and the associated links which seem to clear the FUD
http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/
Do I need (want to?) learn "git" ? and move to github ?  My "Git" experience so far has been disappointing (I cant figure it out !  The model makes  no sense and I never know if stuff is checked in or not)
I have some projects on google code which has been sufficient and trustworthy as sites go ... but it has that "google owns you" creepiness factor.

David, I researched these options a year or so ago and concluded it was time to learn git/github; however lack of good support for hosting large binaries kind of forces you to host those elsewhere. Google code seems like the other main option. I wonder if there isn't a possibility SF will right the ship, though?

About git: you can use git more-or-less like svn, although there are definitely extra steps. One thing I have come to really like about it is the ability to commit changes without immediately sharing them with the world (you commit, and then push, as two steps). You could do this with svn branches, kind of, but they seem so heavyweight and I never really use them as much as perhaps I should. I do find myself searching stackoverflow every so often when I get into weird git situations.

-Mike