Re: [xml-dev] OT: Suggestion for new OSS SCC site / tool for xmlsh? SourceForge has gone to the dark side.

Hi David,

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:23:18 +0000
David Lee <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:

> I am so annoyed by this thread and the associated links which seem to clear
> the FUD
> http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/
>
> Basically SourceForge has been bought by Dice and now is encouraging users to
> use their Malware infected  (well "Encouraged Additional Applications you
> Didnt Ask For") installer (like the Oracle Java installer) that drive-by
> installs other junk. I hosted on SourceForge originally 6 years ago because I
> felt it provided a (by association with other good quality OSS) sense of
> quality and respect to an OSS project. Now the opposite is true, I might as
> well host on aol.com
>
> Suggestions welcome ... I've really only used the deployment and SVN server
> component of SF ... and event those I could host myself but I do find it
> useful to let people browse the code history online.
>
> Do I need (want to?) learn "git" ? and move to github ?  My "Git" experience
> so far has been disappointing (I cant figure it out !  The model makes  no
> sense and I never know if stuff is checked in or not) I have some projects on
> google code which has been sufficient and trustworthy as sites go ... but it
> has that "google owns you" creepiness factor.
>
> Suggestions welcome ...
> Self host ? Github ? Google Code ? Others ?

In addition to my GitHub account ( https://github.com/shlomif ) I also have a
BitBucket account ( https://bitbucket.org/shlomif ) where I have some Mercurial
repositories in addition to Git repositories on both BitBucket and GitHub.
I still haven't fully gotten used to either Mercurial or Git - they both trip
me in different ways on occasion (but these occasions seem to have gotten
much rarer for both systems). I don't have a clear cut winner between GitHub
and BitBucket (I find the GitHub issue tracker to be incredibly bare bones and
lacking many important features, while the BitBucket issue tracker is much
better, but many other features are nicer on GitHub.).

Self hosting is always an option if you have the resources, but I tend to avoid
it for open source project hosting and other network-facing services because I
feel that I lack the discipline to keep these services up-to-date. Maybe you
are different, but it's up to you to decide.

Google Code is also an option.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish