Re: [xml-dev] XML as fall guy

> "Another sore point was the Medicare agency’s decision to use database software, from a company called MarkLogic, that managed the data differently from systems by companies like IBM, Microsoft and Oracle. CGI officials argued that it would slow work because it was too unfamiliar. Government officials disagreed, and its configuration remains a serious problem."

It's certainly true that any project on this scale needs to be thoroughly familiar with its chosen database software. Choosing any database product without ensuring you have in-depth skills to manage and tune that product certainly could be a risk factor for any large project. I've always advised people that a technology like this is unlikely to be a risk in itself, but lack of experience in using the technology correctly is definitely a risk.

Michael Kay
Saxonica