Re: [xml-dev] What is the general direction you are seeing these daysto store and query lots of large complex XML?

Your comments make sense and I was aiming primarily at Rogers problem to the extent we really know anything about it.  However, I will observe that Graph databases give you some very nice capabilities for doing curation and data management (as well as analytics):

- edges can have properties that can be used in queries, for example weighted edges, labels for state, authorizations, etc;

- you can have hyper graphs that give you various degrees of type or classification, meta data, and normalization;  These can be built dynamically...

- you can have 1 way relationships, so billions of things can be users of Facebook, but a poorly structured query isn't going to traverse these billions of things just because of this relationship (in other words, there are ways of managing super nodes, which is critical for hyper graph models)

Caveat; not all implementations give you all of these...

So for me, it's no longer a question of having analytics or data management or even of OLTP and OLAP.  I can have all four in one database, and data management and analytics can iteratively imposed upon a dirty data set using interactive queries and updates, Hadoop type "batch" processing, and things like Apache Spark which let's you do both interactive and Hadoop.   Note, there's a subtle implication in the above: you can write analytics data back into the graph as you process it.  Interactive updates are run against close neighbors and distant neighbors are hit with batch; the CAP theorem still applies but it's impact is mitigated

Again, the real answer is still business case specific, but for me the idea of using tools other than these for big data no longer makes sense if the business problem truly demands analysis of multiple terabytes, (least of all more)...

Peter Hunsberger