RE: [xml-dev] RE: List of differences between XML and JSON?

Thomas Passin wrote:

> Remember that XML is not actually a language but a toolkit for
> specifying languages.

By that I believe you mean that I can define an XML vocabulary and then create many XML instances which use that vocabulary. For example, I can define a BookStore XML vocabulary and then create many Bookstore instances, I can define a Cellphone XML vocabulary and then create many Cellphone instances. I use XML Schema to define each XML vocabulary.

Right?

> JSON is a language.

With JSON I can define a JSON vocabulary and then create many JSON instances which use that vocabulary. For example, I can define a BookStore JSON vocabulary and then create many Bookstore instances, I can define a Cellphone JSON vocabulary and then create many Cellphone instances. I use JSON Schema to define each JSON vocabulary.

Aren't XML and JSON equivalent in the sense that they are syntaxes from which many XML-formatted/JSON-formatted languages may be created?

/Roger