Re: [xml-dev] Does the XML syntax have an underlying data model?

That all said, the infoset and XQuery/XPath data models are a good formalization and abstraction of XML and in fact in many cases those abstractions are so useful they "become" XML and people talk about the pointy brackets text as being a serialization of the DM.  The XML spec is a discussion that implied a DM but never named it explicitly.  That said - all in all XML 1.1 is a great underpinning of a great ecosystem of specs.  Perhaps if there were an XML 2.0 it would identify the infoset or the XQuery DM as the data models - how about collections of documents being part of XML in general :)  I still find discussions of CDATA and PCDATA confusing and the idea of "entities" "parameterized entities" etc flew in the face of the relational modeling meaning of the words.  Many of the founders of XML came from a document background and I come from a database/datamodel background.  But in the end, XML is a great spec for human readable documents - so perhaps you don't want some database dude in there at the get go screwing it up.  I suppose, however, because of this new technical people may find the concepts of XML arcane - otherworldly - I did.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
On 04/16/2016 07:52 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Some of us still prefer to ignore the Infoset entirely.

I actually cannot recall ever consciously having used it, or needed to.

But then, I have always been rather uncertain about what a data model
for XML would _do_.

On 04/16/2016 08:08 PM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
[...]
> Wow! That is mind-blowing.

Not really, if you look at the history which preceded XML.

> Any additions, changes, comments?

Many people use XML syntax for modelling their data (I'm not arguing for
or against this, just stating a fact). This is hard to achieve if you
restrict the models you can create.

///Peter