Re: [xml-dev] Does the XML syntax have an underlying data model?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:54:15 +0100, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie>
wrote:
| On 04/16/2016 07:52 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

| > Some of us still prefer to ignore the Infoset entirely.
|
| I actually cannot recall ever consciously having used it, or needed to.
|
| But then, I have always been rather uncertain about what a data model
| for XML would _do_.

+1.

I'll admit that I've never managed to fathom the deep profound reasons
for XML needing a "data model".  XML's origins in SGML quite strongly
uggests, I think, that it's all about text - doucments - and how we
guide interpretation of text by means of annotations.

For example, the concept of "declared value" in SGML for the typology
oi attributes.  You know, those funky names in allcaps: IDREF, ENTITY,
NOTATION, etc.  Anyone who tries to make sense of these as "data
types" is in for a world of hurt.  As annotation types, however, they
make a lot of sense.

But somehow all that is so 20th century now.