Re: [xml-dev] Static resolution of names is preferred over dynamicresolution of names

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:00:14 +0100, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
wrote:

| > https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/qnameids
|
| That document is (despite the URI) from 2004.

Okay, here is where it started on the TAG list:

   https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/qnameids-2002-04-30

with a background link

   https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#qnameAsId-18

| QNames-in-content were used in XSLT in 1999 and in XSD in 2001.

Sure.  The point is that there was no spec to say, one way or the
other, whether this was okay.  The TAG ruling basically sanctioned a
fait accompli.  The horse had bolted, so the barn door was useless.
Somebody had to say this, and the TAG was tagged for the job.

| The Namespaces in XML spec came from the XML Core working group.
| As with the XML spec itself, the group chose (in my view unwisely)
| to define a syntax with no underlying data model.

The XML Namespaces spec was a political document.  It had no technical
merit whatsoever.