From: Michael Kay [mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: 18 April 2016 10:23
To: Evain, Jean-Pierre
Cc: Christopher R. Maden; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Static resolution of names is preferred over dynamic resolution of names

> I think I eventually have to ask...
>
> What's the matter?

The "matter" is that XML and its programming APIs are excessively complex. This has several undesirable consequences:

* People write poor-quality applications that don't achieve full interoperability

* People struggle to get those applications working at all (see StackOverflow)

* People abandon XML and use alternatives such as JSON, which brings a different set of problems.

Namespaces are a very significant component of this excess complexity.

Now, digging ourselves out of this hole is not easy and may well be impossible. But it's still useful to try and understand how we got into it.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> I have been very happily using namespaces and prefixes with xml and rdf/xml for years. I always saw only advantages in it and no hindrances.
>
> I have also followed with interest the work done to carry this information in JSON (which need came late but eventually surfaced).
>
> So, again, what's the problem if there is one.
>
> As for the statement about namespaces being the result of some political process, then it proves that politics can helps, sometimes :--)
>
> Jean-pierre

If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by the mailgateway