Re: [xml-dev] A question of necessity

[Steve Newcomb]
>Nevertheless, there's an awful lot there that's really worthwhile and still timely. HyTime still addresses problems that have only become more urgent with the passage of time...

I well remember being shocked at how powerful Synex Viewport - later known as Softquad Panorama - was, as a hypermedia browsing tool. It is a terrible pity that this product disappeared IMO.

Figuring out enough about HyTime AFs to get it set up on my SGML corpora wasn't trivial but once it was set up, it worked brilliantly and opened my mind in two major ways:

- All the different ways in which A can be linked to B. Directly and indirectly. These days, a lot of that ends up getting hard coded in Web apps because there are no standard ways to do it. I still find myself using HyTime terminology for some of them e.g. treeloc, location ladder etc.

- All the different ways a single document instance can be modeled - without changing the markup - by using the parser to essentially annotate the DAG as it is being generated. Its not a silver bullet - you definitely still need to do transformations in most cases - but a surprising number of very useful "views" over the document instance can be created by just using AF schema annotations.

Sean