Re: [xml-dev] A question of necessity

On 04/28/2016 10:14 AM, sean.mcgrath@propylon.com wrote:
> [Steve Newcomb]
>>Nevertheless, there's an awful lot there that's really worthwhile and
> still timely.  HyTime still addresses problems that have only become
> more urgent with the passage of time...
>
> I well remember being shocked at how powerful Synex Viewport - later
> known as Softquad Panorama - was, as a hypermedia browsing tool. It is a
> terrible pity that this product disappeared IMO.

I still have the installation CD for Panorama, and the one for Synex
that was in the back of my book on SGML tools :-) Distributing them is
probably a breach of something or other, however.

Both the ability to implement bidirectional links (and publish them),
and the superiority of its stylesheet-editing interface, made it vastly
better than anything else at the time (or now, for that matter).

It's on my list of materials for a forthcoming paper for Balisage (not
this year) on "Markup software we have lost". Suggestions for others
welcome.

///Peter