From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 2:28 PM
To: Peter Flynn
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Incongruous UML data models and XSD data models

The "nested boxes" graphical representation of a hierarchy can sometimes
be useful, and it has the advantage of providing a direct visual
representation of a "containment" relationship. In dealing with document
structures, some people will recognize its use in "clause analysis".

One problem (but that's true of most graphical representations of trees)
is that it doesn't scale well - you quickly run out of paper.

However, the tree metaphor for a data structure is very readily
understood and very ancient - it goes back at least to the tree of Jesse
in Isaiah.

Michael Kay
Saxonica