Re: [xml-dev] Incongruous UML data models and XSD data models

At 2016-06-27 21:38 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
Near&Far did at least present its diagram sideways, but I think that may
have been because it's more usual to have XML documents with greater
width (siblings, represented vertically) than depth (descendants,
represented horizontally).
Yes, the root is on the left, so reading right gets deeper and reading down is in sequence order. That started about 27 years ago.

And that convention led me to represent XML, SGML and HTML in data flowchart diagrams as a triangle, pointed left with the vertical on the right. It has worked well for all those years and I haven't found a conflict. I use the parallelogram for unstructured text files, a lightning bolt for a feed, a box for a process, the traditional sine-wave-cut paper for a PDF file and the simplified trash can for a database to mimic a stack of platters.

As of Thursday I will have been flowcharting for 45 years (I started programming in FORTRAN IV on June 30, 1971) and I still end up drawing a lot of data flow diagrams.

I haven't seen the triangle documented anywhere else for flowcharting, but I propose that as a graphical convention of a marked up file as a whole or part.

Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training @US$45: http://goo.gl/Dd9qBK |
Crane Softwrights Ltd. _ _ _ _ _ _ http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
G Ken Holman _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ blog _ _ _ _ _ http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/posts |