Re: [xml-dev] Modern talking

On 28 Aug 2017, at 06:38, Hans-Juergen Rennau <hrennau@yahoo.de> wrote:

Thank you very much for these points concerning public interest and the danger of immature decisions.

Valid as they are, I think the heart of the problem lies elsewhere: it is the lack of vision.

For my part, I've always been a technician, not a visionary. I just try to make things work. I'm happy to leave the vision thing to others.

But if you're going to aim for the skies in terms of a unified information model, then it has to be something RDF-like rather than something XML-like. XML is just too littered with arbitrary quirks. I've always felt that XQuery was too closely tied to XML to have aspirations to become something more universal. Sure, many of the ideas in XQuery are great, and independent of the model, but some of the features (such as element constructors, or the magic 19 primitive data types) are just too tied in to the particulars of XML.

Michael Kay
Saxonica