Re: [xml-dev] Modern talking

Liam: "Forest", this is the most beautiful name, the most meaningful one, I can imagine for what is now called XQuery. (I suggest to leave out the "Fast".)

Incredible.

Hans-Jürgen

Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> schrieb am 17:23 Dienstag, 29.August 2017:

On Tue, 2017-08-29 at 12:19 +0200, Giuseppe Celano wrote:

> And yes, XQuery is tied to XML, but the problem here is, in my
> experience, not XML, but the huge amount of misinformation
> circulating about it (stemming from ignorance of it), misuse of it,
> and laziness: if one persists in trying to handle XML without
> XPath/XQuery/XSLT, I can understand why they ended up hating it.

I regret not pressing harder to push the Working Group to rename XQuery
to FastForest and to refer to databases as forest stores. My purpose
was to head off the ideas that the database must load the XML text
files every time there's a query and to emphasize that they can be
really fast.

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, XQuery WG

Web slave for http://www.fromoldbooks.org/