Re: [xml-dev] Modern talking

Hi Michael,

I understand that. And I take it as an invitation for everyone to be more active and as an opportunity to thank all the people who contributed to the creation of such an amazing resource.

In general, as an XQuery teacher within a university, I feel there is much potential for XQuery to gain ground, especially for scripting. Basic operations are made so easy to accomplish that one often gets the feeling of being kind of obstructed by a lot of avoidable verbosity when programming in other much more popular high-level programming languages. That is why I hope I will not be forced to surrender myself to that.

And yes, XQuery is tied to XML, but the problem here is, in my experience, not XML, but the huge amount of misinformation circulating about it (stemming from ignorance of it), misuse of it, and laziness: if one persists in trying to handle XML without XPath/XQuery/XSLT, I can understand why they ended up hating it.

Best,
Giuseppe

Universität Leipzig
Institute of Computer Science, Digital Humanities
Augustusplatz 10
04109 Leipzig
Deutschland
E-mail: celano@informatik.uni-leipzig.de