Re: [xml-dev] Modern talking

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM, u123724 <u123724@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't have a stake in XQuery but as a practioner working not just
with markup yet still with enough XSLT experience I've found
XML-specific programming languages generally limiting in that problem
domains I'm using them for would often benefit from the kind of
infrastructure and mindshare that general-purpose programming
languages have, such as APIs for database and network access, unit
testing, etc.

From my utilitarian perspective, XSLT's (and supposedly XQuery's) wins
over general-purpose language where literal XML content with
small-scale variable/expression expansions needs to be produced from
input. OTOH, the more an XSLT program makes use of complex and/or
dynamic expressions to construct output markup, the more other
language options become attractive.

It takes a lot to beat the fact that with XSLT I can code little templates of functionality and usually  not have to worry about them being called in the  order.

That's a huge advantage because it enables me to view the code (complex or not) as loads of little programs.

Of course that's if you minimize the cohesion between your templates but if you do the scale of complexity is greatly restricted to what is manageable.