Re: [xml-dev] Re: The problems and the future of the web and a formal internet technology proposal

Dear Mr. Liam Quin here is finally the answer after a delay.

to all list-users: I am sorry for the delay, there have been many days where I was too weak to answer, since I am battling chronic fatigue syndrome, and have many days where I am non-functionnal; moreover, during the few days where I felt better, I had some pressing issues to handle until a week ago, then I felt bad from monday to thursday and since I felt better afterwards, I prepared the answers for the list on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

>> You must have realized that the termination
>> of a significant part of the Semantic Web effort, and the switch to
>> HTML5/JSON/javascript and related technologies
> There has been no such termination and switch.
Yes and no, there was the time when W3C decided to let the XHTML2.0 project die and when it decided that the future of the web would be based on HTML5 and the work of WHATWG. It could have kept HTML5 out of its doors and continued the work on XHTML2.0/XForms et al. Also, the semantic web effort, while still existing is in a moribound state compared to its glory days.

> As for a separate platform for distributing code, this sounds like Saas
> and PaaS. How would it differ?
It would be a specific variant of software-as-a-service. It would, however rid itself of the use of web technologies to implement the client-side part, which is the most common method; it would be a clean version of software-as-a-service free of its web baggage and standardized; the few cases where the client-side isn't implemented using a web interface do use proprietary technologies which are not platform independant (web-interfaces are pretty much the only platform-independant client-side technology for accessing software-as- a-service). The proposal would offer a programming based (free of markup / XML / HTML) standardized method to implement the client-side access to the server-supplied software-as-a-service which would be accessible on many different types of devices, including, but not limited to, the now-so-popular mobile devices (smartphones and tablets). Software-as-a-service in its current form is a half-baked technology which either relies, for its client-side code, on bastardizing the web or on non-standard proprietary technologies. Moreover, it lacks one capability which would be the big new feature of the second platform in the proposal, there is no standardized mechanism to push most of the processing load on an edge server. Software-as-a-service as it is currently run still uses the client / server model as opposed to the client / edge-server / remote-server which this platform would allow. Having a client-server model means either major latencies due to lots of roundtrips to the server or major client processing workload when putting the load on the client to reduce lantency. Having a client / edge-server / remote-server model allows the combination of both a light processing load on the client and a reasonably short latency.

As I have stated in a reply, to another message to the list, the people who are against XML/XPath and the semantic web (and who are pushing the HTML5 nonsense) are the very same people trying to turn the web into a remote software execution platform. If they are redirected to a new platform meant for remote software execution and the entities (which include most browser makers) and money behind them is also redirected to the remote software execution platform, then suddenly, there would be no more force behind the HTML5 effort and almost no one fighting against the switch to XML/XPath and the semantic web. If the people who want to turn the web into a remote software execution platform are given the opportunity to switch to a new platform better suited for remote software execution, with proper mechanisms to integrate edge-computing and supplying corporate requirements as standard from the beginning, including security mechanisms and, yuk!, copy-protection; they will hopefully do so and reap its benefits; the web environment will then be mostly free of XML/XPath and semantic web opponents, the switch to XML/XPath and the semantic web can then happen with little opposition. As already stated if a new remote software execution platform is to be created, it should be now, when edge-computing is to become important, so as to integrate it from the start, afterwards, the opportunity will be past. Of course, as I already stated, it is best to rid the reborn web of the old names (html, xhtml, http, etc.) to avoid raising false expectations, a new set of names would be best for the new technologies.

Raphaël Hendricks