Re: [xml-dev] Re: How long before services sending/receiving XMLmight need replacement?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 at 09:35, Jim DeLaHunt <list+xml-dev@jdlh.com> wrote:

> On 2021-11-13 01:20, Stephen D Green wrote:
>

> Data sent to a government body usually has to be deleted after a certain period of time. It cannot be kept longer than is needed.…
>
> Well, that depends on the data and on the government body, doesn't it?

> While it is being kept, it could be kept in a system,…
>
> "In a system", eh? But systems need some amount of attention and improvement, or they stop working after a while. The OS on which they run change. The hardware on which they run stops being made. And so on. There are few "systems" which keep running for decades. But data and content can persist for decades and centuries. If I'm writing a contract, and the contractor will generate content which will be important for decades, it seems I should carefully choose the data format, not just the "system".

> so the original message might not be what is kept.…
>
> If I am paying Very Much Money to Expensive Government Contractor to produce a manual for my Durable Infrastructure Project, why would I ask them to deliver that manual in anything but the format which I want to keep?

I was waiting for a logical conclusion there Jim - deliver paper as
being more 'trustworthy' :-)

I agree with your logical sequence, though I've seen it sadly missing
with material destined for long term archiving.

regards
--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.