Re: [xml-dev] Re: It's too late to improve XML ... lessons learned?

Of course, at that point in history Unicode was very controversial in Japan, mostly due to the "Han Unification" issue, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification

Murata-san made the right choice, we should thank him for that.

Speaking of Japanese technology, some people might appreciate this historical curiosity, the slide show from 2006 where I introduced Unicode to the Ruby community: http://www.tbray.org/talks/rubyconf2006.pdf

It's hard to believe now, but Unicode was once a very hard technology to sell.