Re: [xml-dev] It's too late to improve XML ... lessons learned?

> It's hard to believe now, but Unicode was once a very hard technology to sell.

I was working closely with Japanese colleagues at the time. I think the sentiment was (a) they had spent years in standards committees negotiating compromises that met the requirements of all the Asian countries, and (b) they weren't going to accept something dreamt up by Apple and Xerox in California that ignored all the cultural nuances they had spent years refining.

But as so often happens with standards, the adequate solution today proved better than the perfect solution tomorrow.

Michael Kay
Saxonica