RE: Editorial Board Meeting Minutes: 16 Nov 2006

We may want to review this on today's call.

Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Geyer [mailto:carol.geyer@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:13 PM
To: 'dita-fa-edboard@lists.xml.org'
Subject: Editorial Board Meeting Minutes: 16 Nov 2006

Attending: Bruce (acting chair), Don, Scott, Amber, Carol

1. Board reviewed action items from last meeting
http://lists.xml.org/archives/dita-fa-edboard/200610/msg00003.html

-New OASIS DITA TC page in KB:
This page should serve as a brief outreach, no news here, just links to other
pages including TC public homepage and TC wiki.
AI: Don will reorganize TC's wiki homepage to include easy to find public links
AI: Bruce will revise KB TC page.

-New Deployments page--Carol created and Scott announced, but not much update
yet. Carol reported trouble with the freelinking wiki module; once it's
working, we'll revisit how to promote Deployments with user groups.

-New editor, Carol to send out link so Board can evaluate alternative editor;
Scott is still evaluating DitaStorm.

2. Board discussed potential DITA activities for OASIS Symposium as proposed by
Carol
http://lists.xml.org/archives/dita-fa-edboard/200611/msg00007.html
We need to get JoAnn's input on appropriate activities. Instead of a F2F TC
meeting, we could host a workshop for non-members -- An end-to-end
understanding of DITA, how do you convert existing content to DITA, how do you
start from scratch, what skills do you bring to the job, if you're going to do
DITA, here's what you need. Workshop could include a "meet the TC" panel to
handle questions from non-members. We want to build on and NOT detract from the
existing training, conferences, and other activities provided by TC members. We
need TC support for whatever we decide to do, and we need to put plans in place
as quickly as possible to reserve space and begin promotion.
AI: Don to add to TC agenda for the next two weeks.
AI: Carol to join TC call on 26 Nov to answer any questions.

3. <soapbox>
Next feature article on Specializations will be posted 1 Dec. The current
<soapbox> article from JoAnn will remain on the site, and the Forum will remain
open for comments. The new article and poll will simply take its place on the
homepage.
AI: Board to send any last comments (and suggestions for poll question) to
Bruce next week.
AI: JoAnn to consider writing a "last word" remark to conclude the current
<soapbox>.
AI: Bruce to post final article on site and send Carol the link, a brief
description
for homepage, and a poll question. Carol will post to homepage and create new
poll and Forum topic. Bruce will create an initial Forum post.
AI: Amber volunteered to author the <soapbox> article for February, possibly on
"If you use DITA, do you need an information architect"?

4. Tabled for next meeting:
-Don's proposal to create a speaker's bureau.
http://lists.xml.org/archives/dita-fa-edboard/200610/msg00008.html

-Michael's suggestions for homepage.
http://lists.xml.org/archives/dita-fa-edboard/200610/msg00006.html

5. Next DITA XML.org Editorial Board meeting:
Thursday, 14 Dec
2:00 pm EST
+1-402-756-9000 access code: 162307#