   RE: Interesting Monday.

  • From: James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:56:05 +1000

At 19:11 2/02/1999 , Matthew Sergeant (EML) wrote:

  | > I would personally recommend a third option:
  | >
  | > 3) Store in RDBMS now, process into XML, process this into HTML now.
  | >    Process the XML into whatever you want in the future.
  | >

  | 	Nonononono. :)
  |
  | 	This generates probably 5% more overhead than I have already (the
  | RDBMS). XML doesn't parse quickly (well, OK, it parses quickly, but not
  | compared to reading data from an RDBMS). When you are processing tens
of XML
  | files per second this becomes a huge problem.

Well, I guess you have to balance elegance & expandability vs raw
performance. Not an uncommon trade-off ...

But, that being said ...

Creating XML from an RDBMS is very quick, particularly when you
do it using straightforward non-XML code.

True, XML->HTML is not as quick as would be liked, but it
again depends on the nature of the work. If your HTML needs
a lot of complex cross-linking, tables of contents, navigation
bars, etc, then doing this straight from the RDBMS can be
a real bitch.

Also, the speed of processing XML will depend on the tool.
Have you considered using something like Omnimark, instead
of DOM, etc?

Just some more food for thought,

-------------------------
James Robertson